Welcome to the GNBC
Anchorage Alaska's biggest, best, and only homebrew club!
The Prez Sez, by Kevin Sobolesky - September, 2016
Howdy brewing friends!
As we notice the weather is turning cooler, we realize that we can brew again! The hectic nature of the summer is waning and our garages are cool enough to ferment a wide range of beers once more. For me, that means a slew of meads made from locally produced honey with additions such as hops, spruce tips, raspberries, blueberries, and rhubarb! I will probably only get a few of those made this year, as always, one’s ambition exceeds their reach.
This also means that the GNBC monthly meetings resume. The first is September 20th at 49th State Brewing co in Anchorage at 7pm. As usual, bring your homebrews and potluck dishes to share. As unusual, we will have a themed meeting this time, and the theme is: Festbier.
We will provide a secret festbier and have a guided tasting for everyone to enjoy and discuss. We strongly encourage everyone to bring their fest biers to share (Octoberfest, Vienna Lager, Schwarzbier, Bock, Munich Helles, Hefeweizen, Weizenbock, Pilsner, etc).
The E.T. Barnette homebrew competition in Fox, Alaska, hosted by Silver Gulch Brewing, was completed with a hat trick of Alaskan wins, keeping all that sweet, sweet, prize money home. Mike Cragen was able lock in best of show his Munich Helles, a subtle and challenging beer to brew, for sure. See the full results here: http://www.mosquitobytes.com/Den/Beer/Events/ETB2016/ETB2016.html
Upcoming homebrew competitions include the Valdez Oktoberfest and Anchortown Invitational on October 1st, and October 23rd, respectively. See their respective articles for details.
Our sour maestro, Brian Hall, has returned from the National Homebrewer’s Conference (now “HomebrewCon”) and wrote up his experience. I wish I could have made it there, it sounds like an amazing time with tons of fascinating people. (I hope he’ll be kind enough to share his East Coast Yeast connection.)
If you are free this Labor Day weekend, please attend John Craig’s Labor Day weekend camp-out up by Talkeetna for a chill, good time with our favorite venerable veteran beer fan.
Also, it’s time to point out that Elections are coming up!
All officer positions are 1 year terms, and board positions are 2 year terms.
3 board positions are currently up for re-election. Hint, Hint.
To recap, our officers positions are:
We could definitely use the help! Remember, the club is only what the membership puts into it, and that can be much more than the sum of those parts.
Valdez Oktoberfest details!
Oct 1st, see the details at: http://www.valdezalaska.org/oktoberfest-home-brew-competition
1. 3 bottles (12 oz) requires per entry
2. Entries must be received by:
• Dropped off in Anchorage at Arctic Brewing Supply September 27
• Delivered in Valdez to the Valdez Visitors Information Center by 5 PM September 28
3. There will be five categories judged. These categories are:
a. IPA Category 14 (English IPA, American IPA, Imperial IPA)
b. Pale Category 10A
c. Stouts Category 13 (Dry, Sweet, Oatmeal, Foreign Extra, American, Russian)
d. Oktoberfest Category 3B
e. Specialty Beer Category 23
4. Please select the appropriate category for your brew and enter it on the Registration Form.
5. Complete the Registration Form and Attach your Recipe. Submit your form and payment in advance to the Valdez Convention and Visitors Bureau PO Box 1603, Valdez, AK 99686 or Fax 907-835-4845.
Judging will take place at the Oktoberfest Celebration on October 1st in Valdez.
• All categories will be judged during the day on October 1st (schedule to follow) and Best of Show will be judged the evening of October 1st.
• Awards will be presented at the final event on October 1st.
This event is following the BJCP guidelines as outlined at www.BJCP.org.
• There will be a Best of Competition Award given of $500.00
• There will be a $250.00 First Place and $150.00 Second Place award given for the IPA, Pale, Stouts and Oktoberfest Categories.
• A $100 Gift Certificate to Arctic Brewing Supply will be given to the winner of the Specialty Beer Category.
Download your entry packet at: http://valdezalaska.org/sites/default/files/2016%20Registration%20Packet.pdf
Let’s all rally at the September brew club meeting at 49th State!
Find us on Facebook!
And if you are interested to learn more about whats going on in the world of beer, drop an email to Dr. Fermento and he will add you to his mailing list!